Author Topic: Propane and Preparedness  (Read 3553 times)

Rated 1 time
Excellent!

Offline GA

• Rating: +12/-0
    • View Profile
    • Survive2balive.com
Propane and Preparedness
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »
« Last Rated on: September 06, 2012, 10:25:38 PM »
Every time I walk into the local WalMart there are a couple of places within the store I always visit. The first place is the clearance area. You never know what you can add to your preps at dirt cheap prices.  The second area I navigate to is the ammunition cabinet.  Although the store is not consistent with what they have in stock, I can usually find a box of something to throw in the cart that will be useful.  The third mandatory stop is the camping  / sporting goods section where I always pick up a two-pack of Coleman  propane.

The Coleman Propane Fuel comes in a small 16.4 ounce  steel cylinder.  They are usually sold in two-packs and for a very reasonable price. They stand at roughly eight inches tall and they are green in color.  You can find them in the camping area where you can also check out several different Coleman products that are compatible with these small propane tanks. A two-pack of the cylinders can be had for around 6 dollars.

My personal favorite is the Camp Perfectflow one burner stove.  The Perfectflow Stove is a 10,000 BTU burner that has an adjustable flame control knob that adjusts between high and low.  It is small and compact but very durable being made of steel. It is extremely easy to assemble and comes with a removable base that the propane cylinder sits in.  The burner is very stable and can hold a decent amount of weight. The Perfectflow 1 Burner Stove can be picked up for about 30 dollars.

Another cool piece of gear is a Coleman Perfectflow Compact propane lantern.  With this nifty little cylinder attachment you can have emergency or camp lighting in any weather conditions.  The lantern can be hung or carried and puts out more than 230 lumens of light for 12 hours.  There are many different lanterns available but I like the compact model for its size in case of a bug out situation.  The compact lantern goes for 24 dollars in most areas.

Browse through your favorite camping section of whatever store it is that you shop.  You will see a number of different items powered by the little green wonders.  Be creative in your approach but also be safe.  Don’t use the cylinders for anything other than what they are prescribed for.  As I mentioned in the TEOTWAWKI Coffee article http://preppingsurvival.weebly.com/1/post/2012/07/sunday-sanity-teotwawki-coffee.html  I cooked the pot of coffee on a little off-brand fire pit.  The fire pit was originally a Christmas gift a few years ago and being in Florida it really received little use.  The pit runs off the same propane cylinder.  I can cook right on top of the lava rocks in the pit.  One propane tank will give me at least a week’s worth of cooking on the pit. 

Because of all its uses in a post-SHTF scenario I make sure I have many of these tanks in my supplies. You can never have enough and if you think you do buy more!  They are cheap, easy-to-use, and extremely convenient.  After a small investment you will have an outstanding method of cooking on-hand if the SHTF.

Tell us about your favorite propane device or give us some tips on how to maximize this portion of your preps.
Spe Labor Levis
GA
www.survive2balive.com

Rated 1 time
Excellent!

Offline BassMaster

• Rating: +5/-0
  • Honored New Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Propane and Preparedness
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:39:02 PM »
« Last Rated on: September 07, 2012, 06:10:09 AM »
Good post. Man, I dont have time to write as much as you did but so much comes to mind. Like my stationary propane tanks, the idea of endless fuel (sun) or in my case, wood. Akk, okay, ill keep this short just cuz i gotz ta :)  I have also stocked up on the small propane 16 oz cans. I have a bunch. They are great for my little torch. Btw, the torch is a great fire starter in a tough spot and has many other uses. I also have cookers to hook up to them as well as portable heaters. Though I love them, they will run out of fuel in time. If the SHTF and is over quickly, you are okay. On the other hand if it turns into months, you better be ready to cook with another source of fuel. 

I like the sun oven I saw listed somewhere on one of these boards pointing at www.patriotstock.com The sun oven is great, but there may be weeks when its gloomy and dark. For that reason I love the StovTec! I have one and its awesome. You can burn paper, dry grass, and small amounts of wood to cook. Its special design maximizes the heat. An idea, a small bundle of stick that you can hold in one hand will boil a pot of water. If I get a chance ill be back for a better more comprehensive answers... Hope this will due for now :) Btw, you can find StoveTec here. and NO i'm not the vendor!
 favicon112
I love fishing :)  &&&& Prepping!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline GA

• Rating: +12/-0
    • View Profile
    • Survive2balive.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 06:13:47 AM »
I built a homemade solar oven that I found instructions on line.  It works pretty well.  It gets up to about 200 degrees.  I am working on another that will make better use of refelctivity.  The solar ovens are my redundancy for the SHTf cooking issue.  With my luck it will be constantly overcast!
Spe Labor Levis
GA
www.survive2balive.com

Not Yet Rated!

Arsheng

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:06:32 AM »
I bought this stove/grill on sale at a Target store to repcale my old liquid fuel stove in time for camping season this past summer. It came with the instastart ignition although it doesn't say so in the Amazon product description. The product picture shows the little red igniter button near the center of the stove front. The grill is an excellent design option allowing for grilling steaks, hot dogs, burgers, sausages, etc., which I do frequently now. The Instastart ignition has worked flawlessly so far.  Propane bottles win hands-down over liquid fuel tanks (no more having to pump the darn thing all the time). The bottles are cheap and with normal use, last through a three-meal day, no problem! I usually get a meal or two the next day, since lunches are typically cold  sandwiches, salads, etc. Most of the time we are away from the camp site at lunch time anyway. I always bring a  bottle-a-day plus one' to be on the safe side and usually bring a bottle or two home for the next trip (depending on the length of the outting and how much cooking). I can usually find the bottles on sale through the year for just over a buck in the  big' department stores and load up on them. As far as I can tell, the claim of an even, continuous gas flow is true (high or low)  just like using a gas range at home. Clean up is easy and the grease trap underneath the unit catches all that fat dripping from those New York strip steaks. Two or three strip steaks will fill that grease trap reservoir to the brim, so don't forget to empty it before grilling again. The long grill burner also heats that 10 or 12 inch fry pan across the bottom quickly for bacon, eggs, etc. The grill itself will take some scrubbing when you get home if you have been grilling steaks. If you're looking to repcale that old liquid fuel stove, do yourself a favor and get this unit, you won't be sorry.

Not Yet Rated!

Petch

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 10:22:31 AM »
I don't have any recipies right on hand  but, when we go cmpniag  I always marinade and premake Kabobs  they fit really good in gallon sized ziplock bags  so all you need to do when your cmpniag is pull them out of the cooler and straight to the grill  plus their good finger food which is always so much easier when cmpniag!Any kind of Kabobs . we make chicken and pinapple  steak w/ peppers and onions, etc.