Author Topic: Help,,, my well is running dry! Any Ideas?  (Read 4260 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prepper2020

• Administrator
  • Rating: +18/-0
    • View Profile
Help,,, my well is running dry! Any Ideas?
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:06:53 PM »
My well is running dry!   

Okay, my water is still running BUT, I took my cap off my well and dropped a string down with a nut on the bottom of it to check the depth.
It bottomed out at about 80 feet. The string came up DRY. You could hear the nut tapping on something solid at the bottom but not sound of water.
Does the pump at the bottom have some kind of top on it that I might be hitting? Wondering why I can't detect water but still have running water.
I am assuming there is just a little water under where the pump is but I can't reach the water line.
I have a pond so I just ordered a berkey lite fiter system. It will allow me to easily make the water pure. That is good but its a lot of work and winter is coming - ice!

What are your ideas,, tips,, thoughts? Anyone have a handle on the price of having a new well drilled? I would want to go at least 200ft. My elevation is 2400ft above sea.
Thanks

Do whats right come what may. It is time to act, are you? Mobilize, vote & Prepare while you still can. Tomorrow might be to late. God Speed my friends.
"In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish mans devours all he has." Proverbs 21:20

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prepper2020

• Administrator
  • Rating: +18/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Help,,, my well is running dry! Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:52:16 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone.

Our well is in good shape. It turns out there are collars in the well every 50 to 100 ft. Our well is less than 200 ft deep but our drop line hit a collar / cover at less then 100ft and came up dry. This is what made us so concerned. Anyway, we had a well company come out and check for us. We are in good shape but short of pulling the pump out we cannot be sure.

For information sake I asked him to give me a ball park price on drilling my well down to 400 feet and putting in a new pump. Using the existing hole he said he could do it for only $3500. Not knowing much about wells, I found that price to be very reasonable. Well thats it. Thanks again.

Do whats right come what may. It is time to act, are you? Mobilize, vote & Prepare while you still can. Tomorrow might be to late. God Speed my friends.
"In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish mans devours all he has." Proverbs 21:20

Not Yet Rated!

Offline TheWaterHeart

• Rating: +0/-0
  • Honored New Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Help,,, my well is running dry! Any Ideas?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 05:11:44 AM »

Great stream, great experience.