Author Topic: Bugging Out? Things Will Break  (Read 2951 times)

Rated 1 time
Great

Offline GA

• Rating: +12/-0
    • View Profile
    • Survive2balive.com
Bugging Out? Things Will Break
« on: September 22, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »
« Last Rated on: October 31, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »
You probably have spent quite a bit of time, or are in the process of putting together a bug out bag suitable to your needs. We make sure we have food, water, temporary shelter, tools, etc…but what happens when you do need to use it? How much of a buzz kill would it be if you set your tube tent up and discovered a tear in it? How demoralizing would it be if any of your gear would fail you and break down when you need it most? This is why it is essential that you remember to include quick-fixes within your bug out bag.

Here’s a link to our bug out bag check list:
http://preppingsurvival.weebly.com/1/post/2012/07/72-hour-bug-out-bag-bob.html

As you know we like lists. Of course, there is no way to cover every possible item, but here’s a list of mending items we keep within our BOB’s:

Duct tape – of course! Most pre-packaged bug out bags that you can purchase come with 10 yards of duct tape. I prefer a full roll. Duct tape is probably the single-best repair item you can have in your gear. Although a full roll is a tad heavy and takes up space, you will not regret having it with you. Duct tape can be used to repair shelters, temporarily fix tools, for first aid, as a fire starter, and even to mend clothing. Shoot, we probably should dedicate an entire article to duct tape.

Cable ties – Whoever invented cable ties is a genius. These things are truly amazing and a perfect addition to the bug out gear. Cable ties come in an assortment of sizes and colors. I have a large supply of contractor grade cable ties in my workshop area, but the cable ties we use in our gear were bought at the local Dollar Tree. One package containing 100 ties of various sizes is available for one dollar, and they come pre-packaged in a convenient plastic tube. This tube slides right into the ALICE pack with no problem and weighs nest to nothing. Like duct tape, cable ties have all sorts of applications in a bug out environment.

Bungee cords – Want to attach a sleeping bag or poncho liner to the outside of your ruck sack? The bungee cord offers you that convenience. But, the bungee cord can be used to hold other things together in a pinch. As with the cable ties, we pick up cheap bungees at the Dollar Tree. A packet of 5 varying size cords is available for a dollar. The 5 cord packets are placed right into our BOB’s as they came packaged. These too are multi-use and lightweight.

Super glue – Another fix-all must have. We keep no less than 6 tubes of super glue in our BOB’s. Super glue is a perfect quick-fix solution for smaller gear broken in the field. In a bind it can also be used to treat lacerations. It is
so cheap and so effective a prepper would be crazy not to have large quantities of super glue.

Sewing kit – Often overlooked, a sewing kit is a great tool to carry in the BOB. Let’s face it, you will need the clothes on your back and the clothes you are wearing will be subject to rather harsh environments. Tears will occur and buttons will be lost. Acquire a small sewing kit, and if you don’t know how to sew, learn the basics. It is a skill that will come in quite handy in a post-SHTF world.

Wire – I carry two different types of wire. Wire can be used for mending and binding. It also has a few other uses in this type of setting, such as snare setting and field xpedient radio antennas.

Rubber bands – Rubber bands are an outstanding multi-use prep. I always carry a bag of rubber bands in the BOB and in my hunting gear. Every time I am out hunting I seem to find some use for them.

All of these preps are effective and cost little. We also make sure we stock up on these items in our preps for the house. They will also be of great assistance if the occasion comes where we need to bug in. With the exception of
the full roll of duct tape, every one of these items was purchased at the Dollar Tree. For the investment of just a few dollars you can have a decent repair kit at your fingertips in case the S*** hits the fan!
Spe Labor Levis
GA
www.survive2balive.com

Not Yet Rated!

Daniela

Re: Bugging Out? Things Will Break
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 04:13:41 AM »
I admit, our headway was sottpy. I've been good about storing water, but didn't store as much as we should have because we were running out of space. Then I realized de-cluttering was key, so I started on that. We did make strides in learning about and incorporating ways to make ourselves healthier, through drinking more water and less pop, and we're trying herbal teas lately too, including Chai. (I was surprised to find it's healthy!) We didn't do as well as I had hoped on food storage; we kept having to dip into our supplies. So we need to get  back on the wagon  and start storing canned goods again, peanut butter, drink crystals and the like.  We became more skilled at making bread, and a little less reliant on the store. We found a couple of resources to help us keep track of our stored goods; including pet food, water, baking supplies, beans, rice, staples and so on. We also made a final decision on relocating to our BOL permanently. To that end, I have started on a self designed course to learn all I can about intensive gardening, getting as much food as I can from just under an acre, soil improvement through no-till techniques, compost and cover crops. On the agenda: BOB's for each of us, and the dog, and improved first aid skills, as well as better food storage.Thanks for getting us thinking, as always, love the blog!!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline TheWaterHeart

• Rating: +0/-0
  • Honored New Member!
    • View Profile
Re: Bugging Out? Things Will Break
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 05:11:13 AM »

This is cool will bookmark it and check the site progress